Ford School professors Javed Ali and Mel Levitsky are participating in a "Russian Invasion of Ukraine Teach-Out", created by the University of Michigan Center for Academic Innovation and available through Michigan Online. The teach-out will be live until March 21, 2022. A virtual town hall on the issue will be held March 23 at 1 PM ET.
Course description: The armed conflict in Ukraine first started in the beginning of 2014, when Russia invaded and annexed the Ukrainian region of Crimea. Over the past eight years, there has been an ongoing conflict between Ukraine and Russia, with regular shelling and skirmishes occurring along Russian and Ukrainian borders in the eastern part of the country. On February 24, 2022, Russia launched a full-scale military invasion of Ukraine, plunging the entire country into war and sending shockwaves across the world. With casualties mounting and tens of thousands of Ukrainians fleeing the country, the need for dialogue and de-escalation have never been higher. In this Teach-Out, you will learn from a diverse group of guest experts about the history and origins of war in Ukraine, its immediate and long-term impacts, and what you can do to support people in this growing humanitarian crisis.
Specifically, this Teach-Out will address the following questions:
- How did we get here? Why did Russia invade Ukraine?
- What are the historical and cultural contexts that we need to know about in order to understand this conflict?
- How will this conflict impact the global economy?
- How is cyber and information warfare impacting the conflict in Ukraine?
- What can be done to stop this war?
- How can people help support Ukrainian refugees and displaced peoples?
At the town hall, attendees can expect to hear from a diverse group of experts on the current situation in Ukraine, touching on topics such as:
- The history and motivations behind the Russian invasion of Ukraine
- The development of the situation over the past four weeks
- The global response to the invasion, including provision of supplies to Ukraine, sanctions placed on Russia, and humanitarian efforts
- Effects on the global economy
Attendees are encouraged to submit questions for the panelists at the time of registration and they will do their best to answer them during the event.
Teach-out registration: https://www.coursera.org/learn/russian-invasion-of-ukraine-teach-out
Teach-out town hall registration: https://online.umich.edu/events/russian-invasion-of-ukraine-teach-out-t…More news from the Ford School
- Ambassador Melvyn Levitsky
- Mel Levitsky
- Melvyn Levitsky
- Javed Ali
- Diplomacy and foreign affairs
- International policy and diplomacy
- Ukraine-Russia Crisis
- Ukraine Crisis
- Vladimir Putin
- Weiser Diplomacy Center
- International Policy Center
- Center for Academic Innovation
- Michigan Online
- Teach-Out Series